April 10, 2013 by PO.P Press
We are re-posting this fantastic list from Tales of a Mountain Family that we hope will inspire you to get outside this week. Don’t forget to tell us what you did outside this week for a chance to win a $50 gift certificate from Polarn O. Pyret.
Top 25 Ways to Spend Time Outside:
- Go on a family bike ride. Anything with wheels counts. Use wagons, tricycles, balance bikes, pedal bikes and bike trailers.
- Make mud pies. Use old dishes or sand box toys.
- Hit up the local playground. Swing, slide,
- Go for a hike or walk (whatever you want to call it)
- Eat lunch (or breakfast or dinner) outside!
- Do household chores as a family and make them fun – cut firewood, rake the grass, pick up sticks, gather up and throw away the left over dog poo.
- Walk to get the mail.
- Throw a ball for the dog (or a friends’ dog!)
- Do a nature scavenger hunt (ex: find 2 rocks, 3 pinecones and 5 old leaves.)
- Play in mud puddles
- Make a snowman (yep, we’re still getting snow here!)
- Check out the wildlife. Look for birds, bison or bees!
- Pick flowers
- Go out and do nothing. Really. Let the kids lead the exploration.
- Throw a ball around
- Jump on a trampoline
- Make a fort and play house
- Play croquet or bocce ball
- Hang a string between two trees and hit a balloon back and forth (hang it low for the little ones or high for the big people…or do both!) <– not a good idea for a windy day!
- Fly a kite!
- Do cartwheels or somersaults in the grass, in the snow, down a hill, up a hill, etc.
- Walk the dog
- Dance in the rain (or snow….)
- Turn on some tunes and dance, dance, dance.
- Draw with sidewalk chalk